Monday, May 16, 2011

I am a Warrior

anybody else hear Patty Smyth and Scandal running through there heads after reading that title? I am showing my age.

Going into the Warrior Dash I had a few apprehensions - any obstacle involving water and any tall walls. The site said the water would be 3-4 ft deep. Liars! My friend Val is almost 5'10 and couldn't touch the bottom. One thing you should know about me is that I have a thing about water that I can't see through and I can't swim. (don't judge)

I wasn't concerned about the running or the fire obstacle. I was actually pretty pumped about jumping over fire.

I was concerned when I overheard a very fit looking runner chick say she did the dash last year and it was the hardest thing she ever did...

Well here's the low down. This was far from the hardest thing I've ever done. It wasn't easy but it was a challenge and it was a blast!

We were late to register and the only time slots available were at 8:00 am, the first run. This actually was an advantage. I image the course and obstacles get tougher as the day goes on just due the amount of people running through them. Our goal was not worry about time just to get through each obstacle. I suggested we start at the back of the pack taking some of the pressure off getting through the obstacles while knowing you are holding other people up.

First we ran till we hit the first obstacle - the slithering swamp. It was swampy, cold, and deep. It was a small lake and the had the area for you to "run" through roped off. I used the rope to pull myself along when I could no longer touch the bottom.

Next up was Road Rage - running through tires and over old cars. Probably the easiest of all the obstacles. The we hit the Barricade Breakdown which you had to climb over a about 4ft wall and then under barbed wire. The hard part was getting your footing in the mud. Then we ran a little more till we hit the Great Warrior Wall. This was an oh shit moment. This wall was easily 12ft tall and you had to pull yourself up using a rope. This really was the scariest part. I could see myself losing my grip and falling to my death. After wall everything else seemed easy.

The tire tread, muddy mayhem, cargo climb, chaotic crossover and arachnophobia went by quick. We then hit the blackout and everyone thought they had to crawl through it since you had to stay low but I there was no way I was going to crawl through unseen dirt so I just squatted down and walked through it - being short has it's advantages.

We did some more hiking/running and came upon the Petrifying Plunge which we were told by the person manning the obstacle to go do head first even though I swear we read on the waiver not to go head first but all four us did. It was fun because you hauling butt down the hill until you realize to stop you are either going to slam into bales of hay or another person. I managed to run into both my daughter and hay - the best of both worlds. At that point we could see the end of course. We just had to make through the menacing minefield which consisted of going under barbed wire (once again I squatted) and rolling over some wooden logs and then a barrel. I actually had the hardest time getting over that barrel than any other thing on the course. I finally made over that barrel to come out to the long awaited Warrior Roast. The thing I was most looking forward to...and that's when it happened. I took my leap over he first line of fire and somehow landed wrong and immediately felt a shooting pain at the back of my knee. I jumped over the second line of fire and hobbled across the finish line.

The girls want to make it an annual event. Val and I are trying to decide if it's a one and done or if we really want to make it an annual event. Truthfully, the accomodations were our first obstacle. I am now the proud owner of a set of "travel sheets" to be used when we have to stay at some place sketchy. However, it was a lot of fun and the best run event I've been to. They had a bag check. You turned in your timing chip to recieve your free beer. There were lots of porta potties. And there was even a coupon on your bib for $5 off a $20 purchase of warrior gear. In addition, if you didn't want a helmet you could get an additional t-shirt instead which is nice for those who already have a helmet from last year because really how many helmets does one person need unless you plan to outfit an army of warriors.

The official photos are suppose to be available on the 18th. I hope to post some but be warned, it's going to be ugly.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I always think of that Scandal tune, too. It was nice to hear a race report on the Warrior run from a woman. I'm glad you have fun, and I'm impressed -- that 12-foot wall would've done me in.